Sometimes when I mention to someone that I have been designing websites for over 15 years they say something like, “Oh, don’t look at my website!” or “I have a website but I hate it!”
Pretty much all businesses today need a website, but a poor website can actually do you more harm than good. We knew a tee-shirt printer who designed his own website. And, sorry to say, it looked like it. This isn’t to say he was bad at tee-shirt printing. He’s just not a good web designer.
An ugly or confusing website will drive away business
Try this: go to your website and take a look at it as if you weren’t familiar with your business and see what the site is telling your visitors about YOU. Because honestly, your website needs to let people know who YOU are. People do business with people, so letting your beautiful personality shine through is really, really important.
- Does it make your business look professional?
- Does it instill confidence, or does it make you feel like cringing?
- Does it have poor grammar, misspelled words and broken links?
- Is it confusing and hard to navigate?
- Does it tell people how to easily get in touch with you?
The most important question to ask about your website is “What do I want this site to accomplish?”
- Do you want visitors to order something from your site? Then make it super easy to order.
- Do you want them to visit your brick and mortar store? Give them a map and a really good reason why they should make the trip.
- Do you want them to join your mailing list? Give them a free gift when they sign up.
Attractive websites are inviting and encourage visitors to stay
We don’t work on our own cars. We wouldn’t try to run a shooting range. We’re not roofers or plumbers or wedding gown designers.
The point is that we know people who do these jobs for a living are much better at it than we are. They have the right tools and know how to use them. It is very well worth it for us to focus on what we do well (website design, business and marketing consulting) and let other people do what they do well.
If you’re not sure if your website is having the right effect on your visitors, why not give us a call (828) 367-0488 or drop us a line and let’s chat about your website. We’ll be glad to answer any questions you have. Let’s get you PROUD of your website and give your visitors a good reason to reach out and do business with you, okay?
And don’t forget to ask about the 2 hours of business/marketing coaching we give away free with every new website design purchase!
Love and cosmic hugs,
Mandy Wildman (and Wayne says “Hi”)